Sunday, January 3, 2010

I always wanted a Horse.....

I learned and yearned to ride at a very young age...I watched westerns...played Bonanza with my friends....put broken hula hoops up on my little red wagon with a torn sheet on top...hooked myself up with a rope to the front with my skates on and rode around the block...me and my covered wagon...played for hours in the front lawn with my little plastic horses and their saddles and bridles with bowlegged riders..I took money out of my fathers till and snuck off to the stables and rode all day on a palomino and grey...bringing home my dirty pants and stuffing them down to the bottom of the hamper so my mother would not know..I rode horses at a ranch..a friend of my dad's..learned that if you ride the ponies real fast they drop their heads down and you fall hard to the ground..I leased my first horse when I was young...always someone else's horse...bought my first horse in littlerock..a young pinto who only knew how to follow a path...my kids were young and I sold him quick to a young gal who also wanted him....no time to ride...then there was Tyler..a dark steel grey arab... he taught me to ride...not to have fear..to relax and just sit and enjoy the feel...of four hoof-beats pounding the earth..in rythmic motion we ride...just this summer I gave him back to Mother Earth...he rest now in the back pasture behind the house...I can still see him in my mind..feel his back lift as he extends his stride..not forgotten..always in my heart...wherever I ride....

1 comment: